MyDAC WAN performance

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding MyDAC (Data Access Components for MySQL) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
ekarasu

MyDAC WAN performance

Post by ekarasu » Tue 02 May 2006 20:15

Hi, we are developing MyDAC software for local area networks How would the performance of this software be effected at WAN? Do you think that we could have unexpected problems? (The software is related with document management, sometimes with huge amount of data)

GEswin

Post by GEswin » Tue 02 May 2006 22:41

I'm using successfully myDac over WAN (DSL lines). You need to take in care a few things to make it work well, query the least amount of data (Make querys return the minimum fields and rows needed), and set the connection to use compression.

With blob's of coure it takes its time, just like you're downloading the file. My trick is create a master-detail, in detail i select blob's, and then displaying a grid for example is fast, and when user moves, the blob is loaded on demand.

Also change the max_allowed_packet to be bigger, otherwise you'll have problems with big blobs ( both on LAN and WAN!).

Regards

ekarasu

Post by ekarasu » Wed 03 May 2006 06:09

Thanks for the reply.
We plan to use SSL for security but what other precautions do we have to take for WAN? (especially for the server)

Regards,

Ercan Karasu

GEswin

Post by GEswin » Wed 03 May 2006 21:13

Well, firewalling is a good idea, and if remote users have fixed ip, only allow those IP's... Also a good option is when creating mysql users/priveleges to just allow each user just touch the needed database/tables.