MySQL Fusion

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
jonb2

MySQL Fusion

Post by jonb2 » Wed 18 Apr 2012 14:13

Hi Devart

I am getting so many errors with Fusion and SQL designer with Delphi XE2 / Update 4.

Mainly rtl160.bpl problems. It has been mentioned below.

You said there is a new version in the works. Do you have an ETA for this ?

I use these tools ALL the time (they are great as all your stuff is) but it is very frustrating as I have had to uninstall them.

From my POV, it's urgent.

Jon

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 18 Apr 2012 15:09

Hello Jon,

Sorry for the delay on this.

Unfortunately, we still don't have an ETA for the next product release.

jonb2

Re: MySQL Fusion

Post by jonb2 » Sat 14 Jul 2012 12:34

Hi Alexa et al

Just wanted to remind you, and ask if there is any chance of a new version of DB MySQL Fusion?

It has been over nine months since the last update. I need this, as the current version is unstable with XE2 Update 4+. It is such a handy add-on, but I worry it has now been abandoned.

Kind regards

Jon

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 16 Jul 2012 09:13

Hello Jon,

Unfortunately, there are still no news on this.

nmadani

Post by nmadani » Wed 25 Jul 2012 02:38

Is DBForge Fusion for MySQL a dead product?

I had a support issue about a year ago, and a fix although more or less promised was never released. DBForge Studio is continuously updated as version 5 and Forge is still in 4.

DevArt needs to be more transparent about this product, and new customers should be aware.
Last edited by nmadani on Sat 25 Aug 2012 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Wed 25 Jul 2012 17:29

Agreed!!

Please can we have some firm direction.

Jon

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Thu 26 Jul 2012 07:06

Right now we are focused on bringing a new product to its first release. After the release we'll work on the Delphi XE2 Update4 support. ETA is the second half of August.
As far as it concerns support of the new features in dbForge Fusion for MySQL we don't have this on our nearest plans.

nmadani

Post by nmadani » Sat 25 Aug 2012 21:21

Duke:

This is not good news for your existing customers. We literally just purchased AnyDAC instead of the equivalent DevArt product. A major decision maker was review of forums and the level of support for problematic items such as bugs, etc. We all agreed that we could not find DA-SOFT's level of commitment matched by DevArt.

Regards,

Navid

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Mon 27 Aug 2012 07:00

nmadani wrote:We literally just purchased AnyDAC instead of the equivalent DevArt product.
Sorry to hear that... But I must notice that DA-SOFT does not have product that matches dbForge Fusion for MySQL. Because it's not the part of UniDAC (or MyDAC). Fusion is simply sold a as bundled product. And these products are developed and supported by different teams.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Wed 29 Aug 2012 08:23

Hi Duke

Thanks for your responses on this thread.

Forge does not really need new features. It's a great timesaver as it is. All it needs is:

1) To be regularly recompiled with the latest version of MyDAC to keep perfomance and compatability

2) Be fully compatible with the current state of XE2

3) Don't worry about XE3 - its future is in the balance it seems :-)

Jon

nmadani

Post by nmadani » Wed 29 Aug 2012 22:14

Thanks for the response Duke. Yes, I know that Da-Soft does not have any product to match Forge. Also worth mentioning that no one has a product to match dbForge Studio, your flagship product. However, you have "effectively" abandoned your Fusion line. What is a one-year subscription worth when you have done nothing to maintain the product? We were concerned that the same could happen to your other products. Da-Soft appears much more committed to their flagship product than DevArt would be to UniDAC.

Best,

Navid

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Thu 30 Aug 2012 07:55

Well, let me clear up a few things.

Unlike DA-Soft, we have more than one flagship product. It's simply because we have more development directions.

UniDAC is a main product in our Delphi direction. And we're actively developing it. For instance, we supported MacOS X and iOS few months earlier than DA-Soft. So, we're committed to this product.

We also have database developer tools direction (dbForge). By now, the main product in this direction is dbForge Studio for MySQL and not the dbForge Fusion.

Concerning "abandoning our Fusion line":
Well, we are close to discontinuing the support of Delphi. The main reason is that the integration into Delphi IDE carries a great deal of technical burden. Because it requires unnatural twists and hacks which are often accompanied with hard-to-fix errors. So each time you add a feature it takes lot of time to achieve somewhat stable product.

P.S.
Right now we are working over support of Delphi XE2 / Update 4.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Fri 31 Aug 2012 10:52

Thanks Duke

BTW, I meant Fusion, not Forge. I F'ed up.

I *can* see your point, I have both Fusion and Forge. The ability to work MySQL from within Delphi is indispensible once people have tried it. It is SUCH a productivity gain, I think you should offer Fusion as an optional add-on to Forge. It would give it much more exposure and I am sure more people would buy it on impulse, which might mitigate its low return at the moment. It also might help sell more Forge's too on a value vs. competition basis.

Jon

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Tue 04 Sep 2012 13:41

jonb2 wrote:I am getting so many errors with Fusion and SQL designer with Delphi XE2 / Update 4.
We've published the new build of dbForge Fusion that fixes these problems. Please try the new build.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Fri 07 Sep 2012 16:29

Thank you Duke. Good news. I'll take a look.

Jon